REFLECTOR: Paul Calhoun's nose gear incident

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Tue Aug 15 21:09:29 CDT 2006

At 04:59 PM 8/15/2006, you wrote:

>He also believes that the gas spring could have been a factor and
>was due for replacement, a mother bear job.  I've heard they are
>only good for a few years ???

A note from a Non-Velocitian, take it for what it's worth.

Yes, gas springs are only good for a few years.  But, there's
something very few people realize.  Gas springs can seize, anywhere
in their stroke, and when they do they won't budge in either
direction.  If you try to force them they'll bend in half or snap off
before they move.  It's rare (one in 1000 or so). We used a pair of
gas springs as over-center springs on Berkuts for a while, then
someone who worked for the manufacturer saw how we were using them
and warned us.  If it's on something like a trunk lid it's not a big
deal, you pop one end off it's ball and close the thing.  But on a
retractable gear, it can be a real problem.

YMMV

I don't know how it's used in the Velo gear, but wanted to pass along
the heads up.