REFLECTOR: Aileron slop

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 15 14:29:25 CDT 2006

Dear Fellows,

Because of the 90 degree turn in the aileron push pull cables there is
always some slop in the ailerons individually and together.  I
considered springs on the bell crank in the engine compartment but if
one broke in might be a problem.  It occurred to me that a cable
attached to each bell crank that ran through two pulleys on the firewall
as a large "U" with a turnbuckle to adjust the tension would take out
the slack and still allow full balanced function with great simplicity.
I worry about the flutter potential caused by the slack in the controls
and high speeds.  The cables would be tightened enough to force the
inner cable against the outside wall of the cable and remove the slack
caused as the inner cable flops minutely inside the outer cable housing.
I would consider attaching tie rod ends to the bell cranks using the
same bolt that attaches the cable to the bell crank.

Polite critique?

Rene'

Note: no slop in remained of system.  On third set of cables to decrease
this slack no better.