REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Aug 15 14:22:47 CDT 2006

I did have my nose gear get stuck and had to do a nose wheel up landing.

As usual it was a series of failures/mistakes that lead to the stuck gear.

1.) The axle locking screw came loose which allowed the axle to screw
out while in flight.

2.) The guides were so short  the unscrewing axle got over the top edge
of the guide.

3.) Nothing would make it come out.

I fixed this by using two locking Allen head screws on top of one
another.  I also made a stop so the nose gear cannot come up so high in
the wheel well so a loose axle wouldn't get high enough to get stuck.

Scott