REFLECTOR: Failure of Nose Gear to Extend

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 15 11:00:27 CDT 2006

I would check and make sure that there is a smooth - read no lips,
obstructions, between the bottom of the guides and the fuselage edge.  After
I built my guides and started flying, I had the axle bolt unscrew a bit and
the nose gear started catching on the lip.  I took a block and sand paper
and sanded it down flush so there was no lip to catch.  Then I put in a
double allen screw to make sure the axle couldn't unscrew it self.

Gear extension tests should include cocking the fork while retracted and
making sure nothing keeps it from falling out - whether the hydraulics or
gravity is pushing it out.  If it won't go down with hydraulics, there is
something bad wrong with the guides.

Ronnie Brown
N713MR