REFLECTOR: Oil cooling

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 23:49:08 CDT 2006

Ok, maybe I'm all wet but my experience with the Temp control oil bypass valve on a Lycoming, is that the valve is closed (spring is pushing on the valve seat and no oil is flowing through the oil cooler, normal oil flow in your engine) until the oil temperature reaches normal operating temperature, then the spring relaxes allowing the seat to open (the spring/seat assy gets shorter) and oil to begin to flow through your cooler. The valve is then supposed to regulate your oil temperature at the value that the valve is designed to operate at. You must be talking about a different type valve or one that is installed directly on your oil cooler if yours has to extend to open. See attached photo items 7 or 16 is the oil cooler bypass valve assy that I am talking about.

Andy Ellzey