REFLECTOR: Oil cooling

MMurp16900 at aol.com MMurp16900 at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 10:46:21 CDT 2006

Oil Temp.
To Dave ,Sid and all.
Have you complied with Lycoming service letter concerning machine the valve
seat?.
We did that.
Be certain the temp. probe is looking at the return oil after it pass  thru
the coolers.

I tried this experiment.  ( LYC IO540 KIE5)
Removed the thermal valve,disassembled and modified the 3/16 dia. rod  to new
length 2.18"
This forces the  valve fully closed and all oil is sent to coolers all  the
time  regardless of temp.
The results were amazing.We see 30 F cooler temps.
I know this winter  it will be necessary to go back to the original  rod
length 1.466" so we can get cabin heat.
Mack Murphree
A/P I/A  EAA Technical Counselor

(775)246-9364