REFLECTOR: Nose wheel shimmy

David Staten Dastaten at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 16:32:29 CDT 2006

Sid.. many larger tailwheel aircraft had locking tailwheels.. The beech
18 and DC 3 to name just two. You line up with the centerline, lock the
wheel and start your run.

Below flying speed and below rudder effectiveness you have weight on the
wheels and track the centerline.

As the rudder becomes effective you can use that for directional
control. This occurs well below 50-60 mph.

Dave