REFLECTOR: High oil temps

MMurp16900 at aol.com MMurp16900 at aol.com
Fri Aug 11 11:50:26 CDT 2006

subject Oil temperature
Hi Jim.and all
I am so happy you were able to lower your oil temperature.
Yesterday we also had a great improvement with lower tempt. with our  LYC IO
540.
Generally speaking LYC IO 360/320/540 engines the center port of the
accessory housing goes to the cooler and the top port returns from the  coolers..
Please note fig. 7.8 in operators hand book for the IO360=A is incorrect
Lycoming knows it and is publishing a corrected page.
the reason correct connection is important is the temperature probe is near
the return oil from coolers.Lyc. has issued several service letters and
bulletins about the thermostatic oil cooler bypass valve.
When the valve is tightly closed all the oil goes thru the coolers when  open
the coolers are by passed.This operation can be check by putting it in a  can
of hot oil.@ 180 F it grows in length .16 inches   @250 F its  length grows
to .53 inches.
We complied with the  Lycoming service bulletin to regrind the valve  seat in
the filter housing.We tried every thing we could think of .On on hot day  the
temperature would approaching line 245F
.yesterday We did something unorthodox.
We removed the snap ring from the valve and installed a longer 3/16  dia.....
rod reassembled so the valve  closed all the time.and all the oil  must go
thru the cooler It worked.
 OUT side temperature 80 f  a climb  to 10000ft at 90 kts.  max. oil
temperature 220 F.

Mack Murphree A-P  I-A. EAA Technical  counselor.