REFLECTOR: Nose wheel shimmy

Kirk dd at visi.com
Thu Aug 10 17:46:20 CDT 2006

I've had nose wheel shimmy on my Std FG Velocity since I built it in 1994.  Have tried the newer beefier bellville washers, different tire pressures, different tires, etc.  No change. The only way to stop it is to tighten the friction to the point where I can't steer it. It is particulary violent with the wheel pant on, to the point where it tore up the wheel pant last time, so I've been flying without it.  It needs repairing now anyway to use it again.

I understand someone has developed a cable activated pin device to lock the nose wheel in place for take-off and landing.  Does anybody have any info on it?

- Kirk Lindberg
N94KL