REFLECTOR: Correct wing measurements

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 08:11:10 CDT 2006

Jack

I just looked at the KCP's and it hasn't been corrected yet. Read the text very carefully, it states that the X measurement should be taken down the leading edge of the spar. The picture showing the X measurement being taken to the tip of the wing is what is shown wrong. If you lay the template on your wing with the X measurement down the forward edge of the spar, it will fit your wing. Another thing that I did to make the measurements a one man job was when I found the C/L of the outboard attachment bushing, (per the manual where all X and Z measurements are made from) I drilled a very small hole on the top forward edge of my spar, and installed the smallest finish nail that I could find. This allowed me to make all the measurement by myself, and to make sure that all future measurements will always be from the same place. I also had trouble with the winglet trim template. I never did get it to fit just right. What I finally did was to attach my wings to the spar and with every thing correctly leveled, I held my winglets at the correct angle and location and marked where it should go and then used the template to check what I marked. The template says to line up with a foam seam that doesn't exist on the newer winglet billets anymore. Save the foam that you cut off of your winglets for the foam fill needed for lay-up C. When you do lay-up C watch the DVD on how to cover your rudder bell crank. I think this is a better solution that what the manual states. If you follow the manual all of your lay-ups would be forward of the bell crank reducing the lay-up to a width of about 15 inches. If you follow the DVD, all of your C lay-ups cover everything forward of the rudder adding at least 5 inches more strength. I have everything almost ready for this lay-up and could post some pictures or send them to you directly if you are interested. I know a picture is worth a thousand words.

Andy