REFLECTOR: exceeding Vne and Airventure cup race

TimRhod at aol.com TimRhod at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 01:46:20 CDT 2006

I have read quite a few comments on the speeds of the velocities in the
airventure cup race an also discussion on exceeding the factory Vne. For what it
is worth I would like to share my experience with both .  I have a XLRG  with
a continental IO-550 with 10 to 1 compression pistons  and duel plasma  3
electronic ignitions. Rated horsepower is 370HP   During my initial  test flying
phase I tested flutter characteristics to 210 knots Indicated with  no adverse
effects. After 70 flight hours now I entered the airventure cup race  and so
in preparation for that I did some more high speed testing.  Knowing  that this
race would be flown at minimal altitude I first did a full power level  run
at 1000ft AGL. I indicated 217Kts straight and level. No sign of  flutter.
Then knowing I would be diving to the pylon turns in the race I  decided to push
the indicated speed higher a few knots at a time shaking the  controls to try
to induce flutter. I tested to 230Kts indicated in a straight  shallow full
power dive. No Adverse effects.   Having decided I would  not fly the plane any
faster I was satisfied with the testing.  Next I  started to practice diving
to the pylon and banking to turn around a  pylon.  In my first diving turn at
about 600 ftAGL right over the airport  all hell started shaking the airplane
like a buzzing bee at about 220 kts  I immediately pulled power and nosed up
and the vibration stopped. I was  pretty shook up by the vibration and wanted to
get on the ground immediately in  case something decided to come off. So I
made a quick high sink nose too high  landing which after getting out of the
plane I noticed about 1/2 inch of my MT  prop missing on each blade. UGGGG....
Then I discovered that the vibration  had come from flutter of the left rudder.
It was beat up enough that I had to  fill and sand where the rudder meets the
fuselage but there was no apparent sign  that it was going to come off at the
hinges. If the flutter had continued it  probably would just of destroyed
itself  leaving the hinges  attached. Time to  push the plane back into the
hanger and   drag my sorry butt home.  Next day Email MT, Velocity, and
Reflectoites  what to do about the prop. All told me to cut it off equally on each blade,
 epoxy and or glass the ends, sand and countor, run it and if no vibration it
 should be ok. That's what I did.  Now its the day before the  race.  I
tightened the return spring on both rudders and decided not to fly  faster than 215
kts level and 200 kts diving and turning.  Race day brought  great weather.
On take off as I passed through 210 kts the left rudder started  to flutter
again. Pulled power  an it stopped. It was not near so  violent this time
probably because of tightening the rudder return spring. Put  foot on left rudder
pedal and held pressure then gradually increased speed  up to 215kts indicated
flying straight and level. As long as held rudder  pressure there was no
flutter. So I held left rudder pressure for the entire two  hour race and pulled
power and slowed to 200 kts for diving an turning around  pylon turns.  The race
ended and I finished with a speed of 230 MPH for the  500 mile race. WE had
about a 15mph head wind. The prop worked fine with no  adverse  effect of being
an inch shorter.  At Oshkosh I talked to  Duane Swing at length about the
rudder flutter and he recommended some  diagnostic work and a fix which I am
presently doing. So Next year I should  be faster in the race.   Watch out Pat   I'm
on your tail  and closing. Congrats this year on 247MPH . We had a great time
at the  race an I would encourage lots of us Velocities to take part next
year.  It  was really fun, exciting and memorable.

 Tim Rhodenbaugh