REFLECTOR: Tank sealing and Strake closing

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Aug 3 00:42:33 CDT 2006

Guys, a couple of comments made me wonder if I was understanding this
correctly. I wrote recently about mixing epoxy and cabo (peanut butter
consistency) to seal the inside of the tanks. A very thin layer will cover
pinholes and none will appear afterwards. Although I've not used Jeffco, I
think Kurt commented about fixing a leak using Jeffco and cabo which would
be the same. Heck, you could do both to be sure you have no leaks (I had
none).

The comment about using epoxy and micro (ballon) to join the (top and
bottom) strakes worried me because I thot you never use balloon it a
structural situation, only for filets and fills. We joined my strakes with
epoxy, cabo, and milled fiber which is what I think it calls for.

I was told that anytime you join metal to glass (aluminum tubes into tanks)
that you use Alphapoxy because it bonds better and won't leak. Don't forget
to sand the metal too.

Have I got this right?

Chuck H