REFLECTOR: Airventure Cup Speed

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 1 12:52:26 CDT 2006

Hope there are not a lot of caveats in the theories Al. I went with my
Aluminum block V-6 for high density altitude takeoffs, but any extra speed is always
nice.

People keep asking me "how fast will it go".  I have to tell them Im really
not sure until it is tested.

Having 340HP in a 173 FGE should cruise easily at 200 MPH.
Of course, after lots of flight testing and time in the aircraft, I'll find
out how fast it will really go. :)

Update:  Ceramic coated exhaust (inside and out) installed.   Panel finished,
just waiting for the UPS guy so I can finish clamping my Pitot/Static system,
then the panel goes in for good.
  After that install throttle/Mixture cables, triple check everything... fill
with fluids and VROOM. If it all works right, my face will hurt from
grinning... if not.. my ears will hurt from cussing.

Dont ya love EAA.
'
Kurt

Jack

I thought the Velocity was limited to approx 200 kn (indicated).........
It seems to me that you and Pat must be exceeding that limit.  As a
"newbee" I would like to learn what is needed to expand the upper limit
beyond 200kn ( other than more power)

thanks
Len Baxter

Basically speed comes by reducing drag and increasing HP.  On a given
airplane the speed will increase by approximately the cube root of the HP.
If you plane goes 180 kts with 200 hp, it should go about 205- kts with 300
hp (differences in prop notwithstanding).

Al