REFLECTOR: Airventure Cup Speed

J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 1 11:06:59 CDT 2006

len,
The VNE is 200 knots IAS. I think I was about 190 knots IAS which at the low level we were flying was about 200-205 knots TAS. The resultant average ground speed in mph is about right considering the 20-25 mph headwind. So I was never
over VNE.
I think some of the faster guys probably had to pull back on power.
You can exceed VNE as long as you make sure your control surfaces are balance
correctly and you test incremently up to your limit. The thing is that the
manauvering etc at the increased speeds probably should be limited unless
you do something to stiffen the controls.
I am sure the guys running the bigger engines have more experience with
an increased VNE than I do. Hell Pat went by me like I was standing still and
 half way thru the race he was 25 miles in front.
Jack