REFLECTOR: Airventure Cup Speed

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Aug 1 09:13:39 CDT 2006

Jack

I thought the Velocity was limited to approx 200 kn (indicated).........
It seems to me that you and Pat must be exceeding that limit.  As a
"newbee" I would like to learn what is needed to expand the upper limit
beyond 200kn ( other than more power)

thanks
Len Baxter

Basically speed comes by reducing drag and increasing HP.  On a given
airplane the speed will increase by approximately the cube root of the HP.
If you plane goes 180 kts with 200 hp, it should go about 205- kts with 300
hp (differences in prop notwithstanding).

Al