REFLECTOR: Auto fuel - composite compatibility

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Aug 1 09:04:09 CDT 2006

Al,

I think I'd drain the fuel pronto.  On the Canard aviators forum - they were
just talking about ethanol in the fuel (Not marked as such) - around 7+%.
Also what additive packages are being used - as you know - is ??

I think I'd then fix the pin hole leaks - and as hard as this may seem  -
slow down a touch - until you make darn sure you are happy with moving
forward.

I've read too many posts, and have enjoyed so many pictures of your project
over the years - I don't want to read anything happening....

John

Thanks, John;

I'm going to drain the fuel today, and try to do a simple test for ethanol.
The leak in the gear leg well was an easy fix, so that was done the day
after it occurred. The left strake issue is still a 'potential' leak in the
inner skin.  It is not a safety issue at this point, and I will plan on
putting in avgas on that side for the flight test this weekend - if
everything else is right and the stars are in proper alignment.  The rotary
is happy with either fuel, or a mix.  After flight I will address the issue
of the potential leak, and whatever other issues that may come up.

Of course the planned first flight has already been postponed 3 times, so
you never know.

Al