REFLECTOR: O-540 or IO-540 on a 173

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun Apr 30 23:26:21 CDT 2006

Dennis,

If all you want is 300 hp, you could just do some minor mods to the IO-540
you already have.  For example, I had LyCon build me an absolutely stock
IO-540 C/D, except that I had them flow-balance (port and polish) the
Lycoming cylinders for easier and more even breathing.  It made 293 hp at
2700 rpm on the test stand.  If you also slightly increased the compression
ratio from stock it would easily make 300 hp+.  I didn't, because I didn't
want to put any more stress on the engine, and I don't feel the need to go
much faster.

Keith Hallsten, XLFG, Lincoln Airport

  _____