REFLECTOR: Squat-switch setting

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 29 09:29:31 CDT 2006

Yep.  There is indeed some leakage but not enough that it would pressurize the cabin.  I have a bulkhead above the canard (built into the canard cover), sealed with silicone sealant, and the elevator torque tubes have negative pressure after installing (your?) bumps in the fuselage in front of the torque tubes. I also sealed the nose gear pivot.  I don't get any cold drafts in the cabin when I lower the gear.

I have not measured the nose area pressure, but just looking at the open nose gear doors just shouts that there has to be a good bit of ram air pressure there.  On my second test flight, my gear would not retract.  I thought the squat switch had lost its calibration (very low pressure 4" of water as I recall).  After checking calibration and finding it ok, I found the pinched pitot pressure tube - pinched by a too tight tie wrap.  I decided that it would be easy to drill a small hole in the canard bulkhead and run the static side of the squat switch to the cabin.  No problems since.

No one else has reported this problem, so probably this is a non-issue.

Ron