REFLECTOR: Missing forward hatch

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Apr 27 16:27:52 CDT 2006

The factory demo aircraft had (for some time) the forward hatch cover hinged
on the forward side of the cover and spring latched on the rear side, with
no screws or other attachments.  It would sometimes "pop" open during pitch
buck demonstrations, especially with the gear down.  It was sure an
"attention getter" for visitors riding in the aircraft - but no problem
(other than noise) for the pilot.  It was interesting to see the rear of the
cover levitate upwards about 6" due to the low pressure passing over the
nose and perhaps too, to the high pressure buildup in the nose compartment
through the nose gear door opening.  The hatch cover is screwed down now to
make it secure.  Sometimes "fancy" designs are not the best.
Kiss Kiss.
Best regards,
Scott B.