REFLECTOR: Redundancy (was Compass)

Fred Marconi fmarconi at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 25 22:37:53 CDT 2006

I have a total electrical system.  The B&C SB1-A, the LR3 regulators and the D-20 and D-60 alternators.  During my IFR training my instructor asked;  What would happened if the battery failed.

I spent some time with B&C discussing this issue.  The response was that if the battery failed, which is very rare, both alternators would overload and fail leaving me without any electrical supply.  Not a nice thought when in IMC conditions.

So this are the alternatives:  a second battery to supply 12V to the alternator field or to shut down and use a backup computer with a rechargeable battery system with an electronic gyro and one of those inexpensive programs that offer all the instruments on a computer to get me down.  For those of us that are electric I would recommend a second battery or at every annual load test your battery and keep it always on a trickle charger.

Tim at B&C tech support advised me that some are doing the: two battery, two alternators and two bus thing as per Bob Nuckols Z-14 diagram.

When it comes to IMC no one knows what can happen up there.

Fred