REFLECTOR: Odd Jorgensen and center spar section lay-ups

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Thu Apr 20 09:44:05 CDT 2006

Well I remember those layups well- I remember how difficult it was to get
the job done through the hole at the rear of the spar- but they are critical
layups- the CS spar has relatively low torsional strength, and without the
solid bracing of the strakes, at least excessive flexing, and at worst
failure is bound to occur.  If the connecting layups are not properly
attached- I had the old paintbrush on a stick going for almost an hour in
there to make sure it was all solidly down and at least as good as the other
layups on the spar- although the manual does note about this- I would
recommend that perhaps it should be highlighted more that these are CRITICAL
structural layups.   As for the report from James- I remember reading this
when it first came out- I commend him for writing it, and feel for the loss
of his father- however, his father's continued lack of regard for bad
weather is what directly lead to his death- I have met several such pilots
in my time - hopefully some of them are still alive.