REFLECTOR: Armpit scoops..

David Staten Dastaten at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 19 23:21:34 CDT 2006

Ok Gang...

Chris and I are decidedly going "retro" and will be requiring a pair of
armpit scoops for our installation...

Why? Well... we are doing a water cooled auto conversion, and the best
place for everything appears to be across the bottom, between the engine
and the firewall... Air comes in from the pits.. to a common plenum in
the lower engine compartment.. through the rads, then ducted aft, with
the right reserved to put a big cowl flap on the back/bottom if needed.

Still will have the dorsal naca's per plans, with intercooler, oil
cooler and intake connected to them, just dont see a practical way to
duct to the bottom without lots of penalties in flow/pressure recovery
(which naca's are poor with pressure recovery anyways)

Does anyone have a pair stashed away that might have been sent with your
kit, but never used..? Does anyone have plans, molds, dimensions that
would be useable from a practical standpoint if we had to roll our own
from scratch?

Even close up photos of existing armpit installs on the original style
birds would be helpful. Large pics can just be sent to me, or if they
are on the web, just post a link.

Any help is appreciated, from factory or customer...

Dave Staten
Building Velocity SE with Chris Barber