REFLECTOR: REFLECTOR Brake Lines

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Apr 18 22:23:44 CDT 2006

I have read that Nylaflow is widely used, flexible and seems to tolerate

higher pressure than aluminum.  Some recommend 1/4" Aluminum 3003

(Versatube) and others 1/4" Aluminum 5052 because the latter seems

stronger and still others recommend 3/16" aluminum because it tolerates

higher pressure than 1/4" aluminum.  All pro and con arguments seem to

be reasonable.  Before I decide on so many options, any technical

experience from the group is appreciated.

I can say with some certainty that there is no need for ¼” tube.  3/16” will
be fine – you are transferring pressure, not fluid.  I have 3/16” aluminum
to the gear bulkhead (RG) and 3/16 aeroquip braided SS Teflon flexible from
there to the calipers.  My experience suggests that you get a “harder” brake
pedal with my setup than with nylaflo.  That’s a good thing as far as
braking is concerned; but it seems the design of the rudder pedals and
rudder horns are based on having some “spongy” nylaflo to get enough rudder
travel.

Al