REFLECTOR: Accident/incident

larry larry at grrok.com
Mon Apr 17 19:34:44 CDT 2006

I was cleared to depart runway 8R with winds reported 14007kts.  Shortly
after rotation the pilot side wing rose abruptly.  Full aileron with
opposite rudder was applied and the condition started to reverse at about
45 degrees roll.  I did not react to this reversal fast enough to prevent
an over correction.  Rather than continue, I cut power and landed in a crab
to the left which resulted in the damaged nose gear.

Inspection by myself immediately after  I exited the runway and by two
pilots after the plane was returned to the hanger did not detect any
abnormalities.  A Velocity builder inspected the plane today. He also was
unable to detect any abnormalities.  At this point the only evident damage
is to the nose gear strut which was twisted to the right on impact.

All measurements taken so far for yoke movement to control surface movement
are equivelant to those taken prior to my initial flight.