REFLECTOR: Fatal Accident

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 10:27:07 CDT 2006

Here is what I have found out so far:
 N732RA was getting flight following from Albuquerque Center (where I work). According to the tapes, the controller informed the Velocity that the MOA was in use in front of him. The pilot stated that he had already talked to the A-10 Pilots and planned to go "underneath them". Im not sure how that was going to happen, since the floor of those MOA's is 500' AGL. Anyway the pilot sounded fine and there were no problems relayed to Center.
  The transponder dissapeared from the radar, and the controller asked him to "reset". there was no response. the controller tried again, but no response. Shortly after that, all radar contact was lost.

In matching the voice tapes to the radar data, the primary radar target continued for a short time after the transponder was lost... then it dissapeared.  There were no signs of problems aware to the Center.

I'll dig some more and see what I can find out.

Kurt