REFLECTOR: Rudder deflection - again

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Apr 14 09:16:00 CDT 2006

I get around 2 1/2" and 4" on my XL. I would not

describe my brakes as "hard" so that is probably the

difference - sounds like you're being penalized for

having solid brakes...

Here's another option (and don't get me wrong, I like

the mod Kurt used):

To get the above numbers, I re-drilled the rudder

connection point on the rudder horn 1/2" - 3/4" closer

to the rudder. I was already using newer AN hardware

(bolt) to connect the rudder cable to the horn which

made this a pretty simple operation.

Pat;

My rudders have an easy 4 ½ deflection (without chipping any paint) when you
push them by hand.  At this stage, moving the connection point on the rudder
horn is a much easier thing to do.  I don’t recall what the ‘arm’ is from
the hinge line, but to get from 3” to 4” deflection would require about a
25% reduction in the arm length.  That may cause some binding on the cable,
and puts a bit more strain on the cables; but I’ll take a look at that
option. Thanks.

Maybe it’s possible to get more slide length of the brake rod block in that
square tube on the pedals?

Al