REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Apr 11 07:36:43 CDT 2006

Speaking of 'thrills a minute', ever read the accident list on Lancairs?
The Turbine may climb at 7500 fpm, but the Lancairs have a habit of
coming down just as fast.  The Lancairs are fast, very fast, but under
the rule of TANFL, they achieve it with a paper thin wing and no tail
(both exaggerations, but not by much).

There's a turbine Lancair on the field at TYS and my CFII won't
fly/train the owner in it-even though he flies the guy's twin for him.
The CFII checked with the factory about spin and mass distribution
issues and the factory told him they didn't have that kind of
information and that he should just explore the flight envelope but that
they don't really recommend any spins.  Huh???

This is not to impugn the quality or safety of anyone's Lancair.  Flown
accurately, I'm sure it's a fine machine.  However, those that have
ventured too close to the wrong side of that fine line routinely pay
dearly-not much forgiveness.

IMHO

Chuck Jensen

Diversified Technologies