REFLECTOR: Shimmy on landing

Wayne wowens at darientel.net
Mon Apr 10 07:02:09 CDT 2006

Mine is an old FG 173 top loader.  Those folding leg things are a mystery to
me.
The shimmy was more likely to occur  when heavily loaded  so I guessed it
was  when the caster was too positive.  True it could be suppressed with a
30 pound breakout force.  Steering really sucked when I had to thrash the
engine and stomp the brake to turn.
While repairing the NG bulkhead I made a new aluminum bracket that changed
the attach point slightly. Now there is less positive caster.  The vertical
section down at the fork is more nearly vertical. The last 50 hours have
been fine.
I still have significant breakout force,15 to 20 pounds.