REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sun Apr 9 19:33:24 CDT 2006

Am I the only one who finds it hard to believe that you can load up a
Velocity with full fuel, four people and baggage?  Even the mighty XL?

Where do you put the payload?  I haven't seen any STCs for roof racks.

Do you really believe those side compartments at the wing roots
constitute a baggage compartment?

Talk all you want about payload ... but you need a place to put it!

Meanwhile I can load up four people and lots of bags in the Cirrus (been
there, done that) .. and still fly more than 200 MPH.

My Velocity happens to be very fast ... probably faster than most (even
Xls) because of the IO-540 in the 173 Standard Elite body ... but it
still just barely keeps up with the Cirrus.  Both cruise around 220 MPH.
(My Cirrus is one of the few without TKS which adds several knots to
it).

I can't imagine any normal Velocities (200 horsepower or 250 horsepower)
coming close.  And I already know what the V does with 300 horses.

I do not prefer the Cirrus.  I love both planes for what they are!

I did not mean to offend anyone ... but it seems like we Velocity owners
really don't want to face reality.  It is not a family plane.

Tom