REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Sun Apr 9 07:21:10 CDT 2006

'Morning Jim,

I did my flight tests off of a 5500 foot runway and 875 MSL.  The take offs were taking 2500 feet on cool days - 50-60 degrees.

After installing the repitched prop, it was like taking off in 2nd gear instead of 3rd gear.  With an M/T you get to take off in first gear with the engine turning 2700 and the engine making its advertised 200 HP.

I have been very pleased with the 66 x 70" Catto prop.  I now take off from a 3000' runway and use less than half of it.  However, hot days and heavily loaded, take offs are a no-no from this runway.

I am using VG's which improves canard rotation and lift off.  Also, be very careful about using brakes on the take off roll.  I point the nose toward the downwind side of the runway, and try to minimize brake steering.  The rudders start working around 30-40 kts.

As Chuck mentioned last week, Velocities are definitely NOT STOL aircraft.  They like LONG runways.

I see you live in Fallon, NV with an airport MSL of nearly 4000 feet.  That would reduce you Lycoming's 200 hp pretty significantly, especially on warm days!!!

I hope this helps.

Ronnie