REFLECTOR: Shimmy on landing

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Sun Apr 9 00:53:43 CDT 2006

At 08:49 PM 4/8/2006, you wrote:
>Any advice on what to check after a shimmy event on
>landing an XL-RG.

Other than change your underwear? :)

A friend of mine snapped his front LG strut on an XL-RG last
year.  It was a very gentle landing, but he'd had several shimmy
events previously and strongly suspects it was shimmy that did it.  I
looked at the break under a high power microscope, there was no sign
of corrosion or crescents in the break, it was a sudden, complete failure.

I don't know what to suggest to fix it, I just want to encourage you
to take it very seriously.