REFLECTOR: Franklin

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Apr 7 19:07:53 CDT 2006

Well, I don't know what the PMags will do as far as timing is concerned.

A person should time their mags for peak cylinder pressure to be at
about 13 degrees ATD for cruise power.

Now no one that I know has cylinder pressure sensors, so you'll have to
guess.  The Franklin has a range of 28 to 32 degrees BTDC.  32 degrees
is the aggressive end, and the more advanced you go, the closer you get
to detonation, but the better you get to economy or power.  You won't
damage the engine by retarding the timing.  The engine was certified to
make power in that range.  The less the advance, the later the pressure
the less efficient your engine becomes.

Advance timing: highter CHT's, lower EGT's.  Possible detonation.
Increasing power up to a point.

Retard timing: Lower CHT's, higher EGT's, decreasing power all the way
to where the engine won't run anymore.

Have you flown yet?  Any data?  If so, are you having problems?  We need
more info to help you out.  If this is a new install, go conservative,
then dial it in later.