REFLECTOR: Aerocomposite Prop

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 09:19:20 CDT 2006

My hanger neighbor with a Cozy4 (IO-360, 180hp.) received his aerocomposite
prop last week from American Propeller in N. Calif.  He had some custom  paint
done on the blades by them, then they assembled it.  It looks  great.  The
blades are much more "paddle like" than the mt, however, a much  thinner cross
section due to the composite construction.  If I see him over  the weekend, I
will snap a couple picts and post.  He had a Hoffman that  came apart on him
while coming back from Oshkosh this past year.  One of  the blades separated
about 12 inches from the hub.  Fortunately, this was  during run-up after a three
hour leg and fuel stop prior to take-off.  Some  one was watching over him.
Hoffman gave him a full refund on the  prop.  He should be flying the
aerocomposite in a few days as soon as  the weather clears here in So. Calif.  My mt
is still a piece of  crap that should go in the dumpster.  If the aerocomposit
works  out for him, I will conceder the mt a "dry hole" after 5 years  of
trouble and over 18K in it, and scrap it for a aerocomposite.   I will be putting
my Performance prop back on for my trip to the symposium  in May.  I can't
trust the mt out of the pattern any more.

TEC