REFLECTOR: Velocity - Seats & Crash Survivability

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Mon Sep 26 22:03:22 CDT 2005

At 06:30 AM 9/24/05, you wrote:
>*    From what I can see and understand, the SQ hit the ground with
>relatively no forward speed and a nose high attitude.  I agree with
>others who have shared similar opinions ... the seat back is not
>designed to withstand rearward forces.  Even though the XL has the
>nickname "Bubba" ... I coach real live "big Bubba's" to be careful
>not to push their body weight backwards when entering the XL because
>the seat back can break.  This area of the seat design could stand
>some improvement.

A very small correction.  It appears the SQ was deep stalled and hit
with little forward motion, but nose slightly down.  That would be
consistent with the videotape of the Long EZ that deep stalled at Jackpot.

The pilot was found in the back seat, apparently thrown there in the
impact.  The seat back had collapsed.  It appears he died of neck injuries.

My airplane (a Berkut) has a solid seat bulkhead, like a Long EZ,
with 3" thick memory foam cushions and a 5 point harness.  I will be
adding a headrest.