REFLECTOR: Safer seats

John Tvedte JohnT at comp-sol.com
Mon Sep 26 17:34:48 CDT 2005

Those look nice.  The Cobra roadster looks interesting - I can't tell if
it reclines - a call to http://www.subesports.com/
<BLOCKED::http://www.subesports.com/>  would answer that question.  In
my conversations with them, they said they didn't have a smaller seat
(than the Daytona) that reclined....hmmm...FYI, I've tried a Cobra
Daytona - and it is too large to fit in an XL.

The Corbeau A4 might fit, however, what we found is that the seat
recline system can interfere with the carbon fiber door pillar area.
Our measured limit seems to be in the 18" width range at the recline
mechanism point.  The A4 has the recline mechanism similar to the Recaro
seats (Cobra uses Recaro hardware) - so the system that allows for the
recline is low on the seat and may interfere with the pillar.

Having measured seats from an entire salvage yard, and then going to car
dealerships - we found that some BMW seats may fit and that Porsche
Boxster (or Carrera) seats will fit 17.5".  The BMW seats are nice, in
that the sliders lift the seat and move it forward, making it easier to
use to allow back seat passengers into the rear of the plane.

In my case, I have picked up a set of nice used manual Boxster seats.
These seats fit in the XL, and have the recline "lifter" out of the
recline area - they are up past the bolster area - so they are easy to
reach.  We are working on the mounting at this point.  We will likely
modify them (foam and weight reduction if possible) - and recover.

None of these seats use memory foam as far as we know.

John

  _____