REFLECTOR: Accident report - SQ2000

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Sep 23 19:44:42 CDT 2005

I think a much better place to expend engineering brain cells would be
the structure that holds up the seats.

Rather than two foam cores set vertical, some sort of collapsing
arrangement would be better.

At the Texas DOT I have witnessed several laboratory crashes.  The last
one I saw, we were testing a new safety barrier.

This one was very interesting.  The object was to make a cushion that
could be replaced/reset in under an hour, and be able to safely
decelerate large trucks and light cars.
Of course a single opposing force for this task would not work.  The
force to safely decelerate a heavy truck would kill anyone in a light car.

Picture something like a railroad track.  On this track rides a cart.
This cart has a built-in shear that cuts a plate of metal of pushed hard
enough.  Between the track and the cart, sheets of metal are bolted to
the track.  At maximum extension, only a single plate of metal is
sheared by the cart.  As the cart moves along the track, more plates are
placed such that the thickness of plates increases as the cart travels
along the track.  This sort of arrangement, provided the occupants are
healthy (not geriatric), and wearing their seatbelt is usually
survivable when the car/truck is traveling 50 MPH.

I think it would be in our grasp to devise something that would involve
ripping two layers of glass apart, or something like that.  The only
problem is as amateurs we would not be able to build something that
would deliver repeatable safe deceleration within some known error.

Having said all that, our greatest injury is a broken back or neck.  Our
spines are not meant to be placed under compression and it takes
surprisingly little to get messed up.  I know a person that slipped on a
flatbed truck, and bounced his ass on the edge of the bed as he fell.
It compressed his spine, (did some medical terms I don't recall) and
he's been on disability ever since.

We don't have much room at all for this deceleration.  Six inches maybe?
If we pancake it down vertical, say with landing gear retracted, I think
most people would break their back at anything more than 10 miles per hour.