REFLECTOR: Accident report - SQ2000

SlvEgl99 at aol.com SlvEgl99 at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 17:12:32 CDT 2005

Too strong to be crashworthy? I think not.

When Bob I (XL, FG) went down on its maiden flight, it hit a mighty  blow on
the canard tip and nose, bashed a hole in the nose, sheared the nose  gear,
flipped over, skidded some distance and came to rest on the top. Likely  hit the
dirt doing about 90 knots.

The pilot walked away with a small cut on the head--no face bashing on the
panel, no engine in his lap, no injuries requiring more than a change of
clothes.

BTW, he is about 225 lbs, as I recall. The seatbelts and hard points
survived with nary a break. No fuel leaks from the strakes. All were installed  in
accordance with the factory plan. I'll admit that this was not a test of the
seatbacks, and that is an interesting discussion, but it does testify to the
crashworthiness of the plane.

Now, I don't recommend this as a way of landing, but a hellova lot better
results than a spam can.

And I could tell some more stories if I had time.

Bob Wood
N658SE
XL, FG
Bob II