REFLECTOR: Safer seats

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Sep 22 17:36:43 CDT 2005

I am molding buckets that attach to the floor directly.  The "buckets" will
be lined with a system of shock absorbing material (like in a helmet) with
memory foam on top.

The bucket is one piece bottom and back, with some flex ... but no "joints".
It will cradle my body somewhat like a clam-shell.  I call it a seat helmet
or "pod".

I totally agree with many accident findings that forced landings and rapid
descents often turn fatal due to inadequate restraint, shock absorption and
seat structure.  I hope to overcome these weaknesses.

Tom Martino

Tom;

Sounds like a good approach.  How are you dealing with access to the back
seats?

We'd like to see some pics when you have something to show us.

Chuck said:

The solution that was put into my plane was seats out of a Corvette.

Is this for XL or standard fuselage?

I did some reinforcement at the bracket attachment points, back and bottom;
and carried that up the sides of the backs for more strength.  Also moved
the attach screws on the bracket for a better leverage position.  It
stiffened things up some, but I'd guess the bracket is still a weak point.

Al (Just spent a bunch of money for beautiful leather on the seats)