REFLECTOR: Turbo oil lines

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 23:05:53 CDT 2005

I used steel for the turbo oil supply line, but I made sure it was very well
restrained to avoid flexing at the inlet and outlet fittings. The outlet
drain can be steel, but generally it has a flex section in the line. Braided
steel lines are okay, but don't get too close to the exhaust pipes as they
get red hot. I definitely would not use aluminum pipe on any of this.

Sometimes scavenge pumps have a hard time keeping primed if the turbo is too
far below the pump. and they usually use a sping loaded check valve in the
supply line to avoid draining oil into the turbo when the engine is
notrunning.

There are several good books on proper supply lines for turbos (Corky Bell's
Maximum Boost & Hugh McIness Turbocharging), and you can look at factory
turbo engines for ideas.

Chuck H

One of my concerns is the tubing feeding oil to the turbo.  I'm using
steel braided lines now.  I don't think that firesleeving them will
necessarily do any good, because I would expect these hoses to be
failure points, and firesleeve would just get filled with oil possibly
making the problem worse.

I've thought about using aluminum lines, but am not comfortable with the

possibility of work hardening and cracking.

What other options are there?