REFLECTOR: Fire Retardant Paint & Detectors

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 22:41:38 CDT 2005

Scott, I saw a bunch of mfgs of intumescent fire retardant paints, but the
following outdfit had both UL and FM (I worked for Factory Mutual for 34
yrs) approvals using the latest and toughest tests, so I'd use theirs if
it's available. You need less than a gallon, for the engine bay. I'm not
saying that the others won't work fine (I used Ocean from Aircraft Spruce),
but they didn't have  the testing approvals.

The Eclipse halon substitute system looks very promising. I'll send the
article to FM labs for comment. Unfortunately, I think it will cost a lot of
money for Eclipse's proprietary system (if you could even get one).

I don't think an ionization detector would work in the engine compartment
because of the high airflow, but a simple temp probe (400-500 degF) would
tell you if you're on fire. You could conceivably use an ionization sensor
in the cabin, but you'll know about the same time the detector tells you, so
I wouldn't go to the effort.

Chuck

> ------------------------------

            International Fire Resistant Systems, Inc.
            www.firefree.com

           HOME
            FIREFREE.COM

           GET INFORMATION
            GENERAL

           GET INFORMATION
            SPECIFIC PROJECT

           APPROVALS & CLASSIFICATION
            FM, ICBO/ICC-ES, U/L

           FIREFREE 88
            HOT NEWS

           IFRS
            AUSTRALIA

       International Fire Resistant Systems, Inc. is a leading developer of
fire resistant technologies that protect human lives and property from fire.
The company is the only provider of fully tested fire retartdant and
fireproofing intumescent coating products uniquely designed to provide a
high-level of fire protection at a reasonable cost.

            International Fire Resistant Systems (IFRS), is a private
company based in California.

              International Fire Resistant Systems, Inc.
              580 Irwin Street, No. 1
              San Rafael, CA 94901

              toll free (888)-990-FF88
              local (415)-459-6488