REFLECTOR: Fire Detection Systems

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Wed Sep 7 02:30:43 CDT 2005

At 12:09 AM 9/7/05, you wrote:

>Someone asked about UV detectors and yes, they don't work on smoke.
>The industry uses ionazation (aka products of combustion) detectors
>which will do both flame and smoke.

Do you have any part numbers or suppliers?

>  Fortunately, the fire did little damage because the interior of
> the engine compartment was painted with fire retardant
> (intumescent) paint. I would highly recomend you do this especially
> to your wing roots.

Same question - what did you use?

>They now have a couple of Halon substitutes, but they're very
>expensive and take twice the volume.

There's a new one on the horizon - if it's as good as it's claimed,
it will be VERY impressive

http://www.eclipseaviation.com/inthenews/detail_05.htm?content_id=875

In the meantime, the best source for Halon extinguishers I've found
is on Ebay.  As a safety obsessive, I have a halon and a foam
extinguisher in every room in my house, and in the trunk of every
car.  (and yes, people ask why I have 2 extinguishers in my
kitchen.  I don't show them the bedroom closets)