REFLECTOR: Cruise speed "speed brake" & Glass O'cast

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Sep 6 12:08:32 CDT 2005

Incrementally extending...

I was just thinking about this on your first post.

It seems it would be quite simple to add a force actuated switch that
would not exceed some limit.

I do not remember what the current actuators are rated for, but let's
assume they are 100lbs.

Make a collar that fits around the keel end of the actuator, with a
spring with the appropriate K factor to move .25 inches when 75lbs is
applied.  Put a switch in series with the actuator, with a diode so that
the switch is bypassed if you want to retract while the cutout switch is
engaged.  Normal operation would bypass the diode (no voltage drop),
when the cutout switch is not engaged.

Want to go down? just flip the switch to extend the board, and let the
cutout switch decide when to extend it some more.  Just don't exceed the
limits by increasing your airspeed.

I suppose one could get fancier with a DPDT switch that would retract it
if the forces get too high, but I haven't put enough brain cells into
that problem.