REFLECTOR: Molding a P-51 Scoop

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Mon Sep 5 23:43:47 CDT 2005

A friend of mine has a Cozy with a 13BT.  All his cooling comes through
the standard plans NACA belly scoop.  Don't recall the dimensions, but
it's about the size of your proposed intercooler opening.  Now rotarys
have serious heat rejection issues, and this opening feeds his radiator,
oil coolers AND intercooler.  He's been up to close to 50" MAP which is
well over 250 hp and never had a cooling issue.  The conventional wisdom
on the rotary and Soob lists is that intercooler cooling requirements
are quite modest compared to the engine.

My .02 ... Jim S.