REFLECTOR: NO DOORS

David Scharfenberg dave at winco.net
Sat Sep 3 23:12:43 CDT 2005

    I just converted to a mechanical nose door system and flight tested
it today.  Everything worked great, including a free fall extension.  I
used the stock door opening springs and linkages, with a extra set of
springs added to allow the nose wheel to move up and down a little in
turbulence without opening the doors.  The springs also make fine
tuning the linkage lengths unnecessary, as the spring pressure holds
the doors in the closed position.  I have some crude pictures and a
movie of the prototype.  If anyone is interested, please let me know.
    I have had to rebuild the sequence valve twice and the nose door
cylinder once, so I am looking forward to more dependable operation.
The pile of removed parts is impressive (sequence valve, cylinder, AL
lines and fittings, flow restricter, slider rails and brackets).

Dave Scharfenberg
std/rg
dave at winco.net