REFLECTOR: Oil lines and ground wire.

jewen jewen at comporium.net
Sat Sep 3 23:51:57 CDT 2005

Scott,
An aluminum tube 0.5" OD with 0.035" wall will have the same
electrical conductivity as a 10AWG copper wire.  Probably a
bit too low for battery ground.  But, a copper tube of the
same cross section will have the same electrical
conductivity as a 2 AWG copper wire, that may be more
suitable as your ground conductor.  The values were
calculated at standard temp, elevated temps from the oil
will reduce the electrical conductivity, but 2 copper lines
of the listed cross section should be more than adequate at
elevated temps.  You may find the following site usefull for
conductivity values http://www.allmeasures.com/Formulae/

On your hoses, if the are metal braided (especially if
stainless) I would definatley replace them.  They are likely
to be very abrasive to wiring in your conduit.

If you decide to go this route, please recheck my math.  You
may also want to ask Ron Brown, I believed he used a copper
tube for instrument vacuum as well as his ground.

Joe