REFLECTOR: Cruise speed "speed brake"

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 5 06:32:20 CDT 2005

Chuck,

You can add me to the list of interested parties.  Here is all I have.
In a brief and non-technical exchange w/ Scott Baker on this topic back
about 6 months ago, comments expressed at that time were that there was
a general safety concern about the panel coming off at higher airloads
and going into the prop.  So a conservative speed limit was established
and no testing was done above that speed.  And further there was no
interest in incremental deployment angles.   Another thought only, how
about a split rudder like the B-727.  Only this one would split and the
low half both LH and RH would deflect into the slip stream.  The problem
solved is not it out of the prop track, but the problem created is the
deflection is way to far from centerline in the event of assym
deployment malfunctions.  Good luck with this.  Keep us posted.

Terry
XL-RG with a SB