REFLECTOR: Wing Shimming

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 02:33:59 CDT 2005

My plane had a modest tendency for the plane to want to go to the right
which I pretty much corrected with shimming the thrust line of the engine
using fender washers between the engine mount and the firewall. I originally
tried to shim the wing, but when I put the thin washer behind the outer
lower wing bolt, it ruined the front fairing between the strake and wing
that I spent so much time making perfect. It also messed up the alingment of
my engine cowl attachment. Unless you're really into doing a lot of glassing
and finish work, I would avoid shimming the wing.

What little I do have left, I trim out with the airleron control. I haven't
tried the popsicle stick on the rudder yet, but I've been told that's how
the factory used to do it.

Chuck H

I was told to first reduce lift in the light(or rising) wing, put a thin
washer(1/32") under the lower wing bolts on the wing that is rising. If
its too much try a 1/64".

If that aint enough try a 1/16" washer. If that aint enough, leave the
shim in the light wing, and now shim the upper bolts on the heavy wing
to increase its lift..

Some require 1/8" washers...

Scott