REFLECTOR: Molding a P-51 Scoop

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Sep 4 17:16:59 CDT 2005

What would be the best way to go about this?   Carve one out of foam?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Scott

I have made scoops, cowling, and other parts; all by carving urethane foam.
It is cheap and readily available at your local builders supply (even Home
Depot and Lowes).  It comes in 4' x 8' sheets, 2" thick for less than $20
(at least it was last I checked).  It comes with a foil paper covering which
you can peel off; cut, and laminate together with your favorite fast glue
(glue gun works well).  One trick to peeling the foil off is put some
tension on it (horizontally) as you lift it up and it comes off cleanly.

Cover the final shape with duct tape so the fiberglass will release, or
paint with a slurry of alphapoxy and microballoon and use mold release.
Urethane is very easy to shape, but has the disadvantage that you can't
dissolve it out.  If you have a shape that you can't pull off, or out, or
hollow out and pull in; make your part with just two or three plies, then
make a strategic cut(s) to get it off the mold; then bond together and put
more plies over.

One way that works,

Al