REFLECTOR: NO DOORS

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sat Sep 3 14:10:03 CDT 2005

In my flight testing ... I have found absolutely no significant difference in speeds with my main gear doors on or off.  They may look nice while flying (but who the hell sees them?) ... and we might be sold on the idea that we need to be cleaner to increase speed ... but it simply did not happen with me!  I have hard and fast testing to prove it.  The most difference I've seen is one knot!  I'd rather have higher gear extension speeds that an extra knot!

So I have another CRAZY idea.  Please hear me out before sending the mental health authorities to my rescue.

My nose gear doors have been an absolute pain in the ass.  I have converted to the "mechanical door closer" with much success ... but they are still a potential problem area -- especially with "free falling" the gear in a hydraulic dump situation.  Without going into much detail ... spring tension and door "arms" have to be in perfect harmony for the system to consistently work well -- no matter what door closing system you use.

So my radical thought it this:  In the ultimate quest to keep things simple ... why not do away with nose doors completely?  Mold some farings in front ("V" shape) and along the sides (fins) of the nose gear opening to direct air flow around the opening (like some pick up trucks are now doing to cut down drag in pickup beds, and what some "funny cars" do in order to have unusual body styles, yet be aerodynamic).

You could also place a rubberized plastic "slotted" cover just inside the opening that the gear could easily pass through.

Please think it through, a buddy of mine who has computer simulations of drag coefficients ran a mockup and believes you could cut down 90% of the drag with this configuration.

OK, call me nuts ... but please give me other feedback as well!