REFLECTOR: Oil lines and ground wire.

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Sep 3 10:04:17 CDT 2005

My plane came with high pressure hoses for oil lines. Both ran in the
pilot side duct.  I noticed that the manual calls for 1/2 " aluminum
lines.   I was considering replacing the high pressure rubber/steel flex
lines with aluminum.  Much lighter and smaller, those hydraulic lines
are huge and heavy.

I was also considering running one up the pilot side and the other down
the copilot side to take advantage of the additional cooling benefits.
Has anybody done the comparison of running both in one duct and one in
each to see if there really is an advantage?

Then I got to thinking about using the oil lines for my ground return
path from the battery to the engine?  Aluminum is a pretty good
conductor, and having two lines would seem to provide a substantial
return path if I bonded both tubes at both ends?

Anybody do this?

Scott